It's been a few days. We are doing pretty well with things. We are doing best with the no sugar thing. Rebecca gets lots of treats from school, so we told her to bring it home & we'll collect it in a jar & when the jar is full we'll pay her some money for the candy. She's motivated! It rocks. When we've gone to the store the kids have asked for treats & when I reminded them we're not doing those kinds of treats anymore they were cool with it. Sweet!
Confessions...
*I kept promising the kids that when Dad went out of town they could choose a box of fun cereal...that was before I decided on the no processed month. I wasn't able to persuade them to choose a cereal from the health food store, so I had to live up to my word. Man they do not forget! But, they only get the cereal after they eat something normal. That's been our only hang up so far.
*This afternoon/evening was super busy & I just did not have time to make dinner, so I bought a heart pizza from Papa Murphy's for the kids. At least they don't eat white flour every day!
*I do buy whole wheat bread b/c when I do homemade bread no one eats enough of it & it goes bad. Big James has a gluten allergy, so he doesn't eat any; I have to avoid too many carbs-even if they're whole grain. So, at this point I buy whole wheat bread for now.
Baby steps, right?
Here are a few definitions of foods that might be helpful...
Rapadura-Rapadura is unrefined cane sugar. It is simply the evaporated and crystallized juice of whole cane. Unlike white sugar, brown sugar and other sugars that try to pass off as “raw,” rapadura retains all the natural minerals found in sugar cane. It therefore doesn’t deplete the body of its own minerals and doesn’t spike the body’s blood sugar as dramatically as white sugar does. Wherever a recipe calls for white or brown sugar, try substituting an equal amount of rapadura.
Sucanat-is non-refined cane sugar. Unlike refined and processed white sugar, Sucanat retains its molasses content; it is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice. The juice is extracted by mechanical processes, heated and cooled at which point the small brown grainy crystals are formed.
Other natural sweeteners worth researching...
agave nectar (low glycemic index), real maple syrup, stevia
Now I just need to get a normal & consistent exercise routine going...it's hard with Big James' schedule!
***Post Edit***
I just finished watching today's Oprah on diabetes.
You better watch it b/c it reiterates why it is so important for us to eat healthier & exercise.
Dr. Oz says, "Get rid of the white flour, white rice, white sugar..."
Shocking Moment...seeing how much sugar is actually in tons of the foods we eat.
Confessions...
*I kept promising the kids that when Dad went out of town they could choose a box of fun cereal...that was before I decided on the no processed month. I wasn't able to persuade them to choose a cereal from the health food store, so I had to live up to my word. Man they do not forget! But, they only get the cereal after they eat something normal. That's been our only hang up so far.
*This afternoon/evening was super busy & I just did not have time to make dinner, so I bought a heart pizza from Papa Murphy's for the kids. At least they don't eat white flour every day!
*I do buy whole wheat bread b/c when I do homemade bread no one eats enough of it & it goes bad. Big James has a gluten allergy, so he doesn't eat any; I have to avoid too many carbs-even if they're whole grain. So, at this point I buy whole wheat bread for now.
Baby steps, right?
Here are a few definitions of foods that might be helpful...
Rapadura-Rapadura is unrefined cane sugar. It is simply the evaporated and crystallized juice of whole cane. Unlike white sugar, brown sugar and other sugars that try to pass off as “raw,” rapadura retains all the natural minerals found in sugar cane. It therefore doesn’t deplete the body of its own minerals and doesn’t spike the body’s blood sugar as dramatically as white sugar does. Wherever a recipe calls for white or brown sugar, try substituting an equal amount of rapadura.
Sucanat-is non-refined cane sugar. Unlike refined and processed white sugar, Sucanat retains its molasses content; it is essentially pure dried sugar cane juice. The juice is extracted by mechanical processes, heated and cooled at which point the small brown grainy crystals are formed.
Other natural sweeteners worth researching...
agave nectar (low glycemic index), real maple syrup, stevia
Now I just need to get a normal & consistent exercise routine going...it's hard with Big James' schedule!
***Post Edit***
I just finished watching today's Oprah on diabetes.
You better watch it b/c it reiterates why it is so important for us to eat healthier & exercise.
Dr. Oz says, "Get rid of the white flour, white rice, white sugar..."
Shocking Moment...seeing how much sugar is actually in tons of the foods we eat.
No comments:
Post a Comment